Friday, May 6, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published first on: April 19th, 2011
Pages: 293

Goodreads Summary:
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
When I started to read book blogs very few months ago, The Goddess Test was the first book I ever put on my wishlist of books that have not been released yet. Therefore, to say that I was excited to read this would be an understatement. But that also meant that despite the many positive reviews about this novel, I was afraid I wouldn't like it as much as I expected.

But I liked it more than I expected.

The Goddess Test was a fascinating, fast-paced and addicting read and I'm sad to be finished already. While I couldn't wait to find out about the ending, it nearly broke my heart to see that I had arrived at the last pages. To be honest, I don't know how to wait for the sequel Goddess Interrupted, which should be published 2012. It's also one of those books that leave you unable to pick up another book immediately after you've finished it. I feel like I need to appreciate it a little longer.

I love the way the story was constructed. Instead of having the usual "girl meets boy - girl cannot decide whether there is something wrong about the boy = the real plot only begins after you've already read half of the book"-scenario, The Goddess Test was incredibly fast-paced and we get to experience the world of gods earlier than I would have expected. And this was a good surprise, because it left much more time for Kate and Henry's relationship to develop without the usually present danger of a paranormal secret to be disclosed.

The characters of this novel were very interesting and every single one of them played an important role. It was great to see how everything played out in the end and I had a smile on my face when I found out in the end which moments were the key moments for the storyline.

And while I sometimes wished for some more romantic moments, those few intense scenes between Kate and Henry towards the end were really great and I'm impatiently waiting to find out how their relationship will develop in the future. What obstacles will they have to face in Goddess Interrupted and did I really detect hints of a future love triangle?

Dear Aimée, please don't make me wait so long...



Have you read The Goddess Test? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Sigh...this just makes me wish my copy was here already. I had to special order it as none of the bookstores here have it. Great review. I love that it made you want to not pick up a book for awhile - a sign of a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this book as well! I think the plot was really creative and completely imaginative! So glad you liked it ;)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!