Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First released on: May 24th, 2011
Pages: 336

Goodreads Summary:
In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her.
When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch….
Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help—and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on—even if it seems no one believes her.



I received an eGalley of this novel via NetGalley. Thanks to Harlequin Teen for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 3.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
When I first read the summary of this novel, I expected to love this story. It sounds like something completely different that I have not read before. And I have to admit that this expectation has been fulfilled. The Girl in the Steel Corset has a very interesting storyline, a good dose of action and more than one love-triangle.

The story is told by a third person narrator but from different point of views. While this helps to understand certain characters a lot better and makes it possible to witness more of the things that are happening in this world, it made it difficult for me to really like a character. I couldn't identify with any of them, although every character is very well written and plays an important role in the story. But of course I couldn't help falling a little bit for one of the love-interests and I don't think it's a huge surprise, when I say that it's the bad guy - Jack Dandy.

The pacing of the story sometimes made it a little bit hard for me to continue reading. While at certain parts the story is very fast-paced and maybe a little rushed, some other parts are a little bit long-winded. But you should know that the whole storyline is designed quite well and makes you want to know more about what will happen next.

All in all, The Girl in the Steel Corset is a story that I liked reading despite some small problems I had and I will definitely check out the second novel of the Steampunk Chronicles, once it's available.



Have you read The Girl in the Steel Corset? What did you think about it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I love Jack Dandy!! Sorry to hear this was only and OK read for you. The pacing was a bit slow in some parts. It's only my second steampunk, I think, and I really liked it. Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read and reviewed it, too. I love both Griffin King and Jack Dandy, so I see where Finley's conflicted... but I think I liked Griffin just a tad bit more. I gave it a 3.5/5, but am looking forward to the next book in the series (at some future date) and will definitely read the novella. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it yet. I keep thinking that I will but who knows. Loved your review!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!