Friday, May 20, 2011

Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum

Die For Me by Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen (US), Atom (UK)
First published on: May 5th, 2011
Pages: 341 (Atom paperback)

Goodreads Summary:
My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Right now I am regretting that I have a rating system that only goes up to 5, because I want to rate this novel so much higher. It was a very beautifully written story with amazing main and secondary characters, which captivated me right at the start and won't even let me go now that I've finished it. 

Let's start with the paranormal aspect of this novel. At first I thought that this was about zombies and never having read a book about zombies, I was a little bit sceptical. But I was wrong. No real zombies in this one (even though we have a lot of funny mentions of those other paranormal creatures), but something I have never heard about before: Revenants. I won't go into detail now, because I don't want to spoil this incredibly interesting concept, but just let me tell you how refreshing it was to read something new.

I especially enjoyed reading the story being told from Kate's point of view, because she is such an amazing character. Life isn't easy for her, but in contrast to some of the usual heriones she doesn't use this as an excuse to not be careful when confronted with her feelings for (the not-so-human) Vincent. While I've read about a lot of naivety in other novels, Kate doesn't let her emotions control her and she tries to stay rational. The way Vincent and Kate's attraction is slowly growing into love is so beautiful to witness and I cannot wait to see where the story will take them.

But not only Kate and Vincent's story is lovely to read; I enjoyed all of the characters. Kate's relationship to her sister Georgia was wonderful and the members of Vincent's family often made me smile (wait until you meet Ambrose and Jules! - there is more than just one hot guy in this novel).

And of course I can't forget to mention that this story is set in Paris. The only other book that was set in Paris and that I've read this year was Anna and the French Kiss and I loved this one as well. There seems to be something magical about stories being set in this town and Die For Me made me want to visit France now even more. 

So if you haven't read this novel yet, do me a favour and get yourself a copy as fast as possible; because if you're looking for a refreshing paranormal story, I'm pretty sure that you will not be disappointed by Die For Me. I just know that I am eagerly awaiting the sequel Until I Die, which is expected to be published in 2012.



Have you read Die For Me? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Really great review. Glad you enjoyed it :)
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too. Especially the secondary characters like Charlotte and Jules

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!