Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
First released on: August 31st, 2011
Pages: 478

Goodreads Summary:
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.



My Rating: 3.0 / 5

What I thought about it: 
At first I have to admit that I haven't read the The Mortal Instruments series yet, although I plan to do this soon. So of course I was a little bit scared that I might not understand Clockwork Angel, because it is the prequel to this series. If you haven't read the TMI series yet either, but want to read this novel, don't worry - I had no problems and was introduced into this world quite well.

What I really enjoyed was the setting. This is the very first steampunk novel I have ever read and the atmosphere captivated me. Everything was described wonderfully and I could imagine being there very easily. While I enjoyed this aspect of Cassandra Clare's writing, I didn't like the slow progress of the story. Especially the first half of the book was very slow and only the last 100 pages made it hard for me to put the book down. But with nearly 500 pages, it was a slow read for me. 

There are enough secrets and mysteries introduced to make me want to read the sequel Clockwork Prince, which will be published on December 6th, 2011. While I feel like I don't know enough about most characters to really feel close to any of them, they are very interesting and I'd like to see their developments. Of course the most intriguing aspect is the love triangle between Will, Jem and Tessa which was only slowly introduced in this book and I hope we will see more of it in the future. Especially Will's strange behaviour needs to be explained and I'm looking forward to more moments between Jem and Tessa.

All in all it was a nice, but sadly a very slow, read, but fans of a historical setting, steampunk and mysteries will enjoy Clockwork Angel.



Have you read Clockwork Angel? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it. The Mortal Instruments is one of my favourite series so I hope you get a chance to read them as well. I agree that the love triangle really is one of the intriguing parts of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely had mixed feelings about this one as well. I did read the Mortal Instruments series before starting this book, so I knew what to expect. But yes, it was pretty slow in the beginning! However, I did feel a pretty good connection to Tessa and her unknown origins... and I also have a soft spot for Jem :) Great review!
    - Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!