Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter

Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
First released on: March 29th, 2011
Pages: 398

Goodreads Summary:
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. 
Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
If you haven't read Born at Midnight yet, you have to do so RIGHT NOW! Ignore everything you have to do and get yourself a shiny copy of this awesome novel and read it!

When I started reading this, I actually didn't have very high expectations even though I had read lots of positive reviews about it. But somehow the idea of a camp full of supernatural creatures didn't appeal too much to me. And I was so wrong! I've loved this novel right from the start and sometimes I really had to force myself to stop reading - although it was a lot more interesting than the lecture of criminal law I had to listen to ;-).

Born at Midnight is a wonderful story about Kylie's journey to find out who she truly is and where she belongs to. She is a very believable and relatable character and the way the story is told from her point of view (third person narrator, though) makes me believe that I'm actually experiencing her adventures with her.

Even though this novel mostly deals with some sort of introduction of the world Kylie is pushed in, it doesn't get boring. It does have some action, especially towards the end, but mostly we just get to know the characters. And those characters are amazingly developed and play their own important roles in the story. Oh, and of course I can't forget the boys! Because we really get some very nice and interesting boys here. There is Trey - the exboyfriend who regrets being the ex -, there is Derek - the safe choice - and there's Lucas - the dangerous one. And I wouldn't be me, if I hadn't fallen for Lucas immediately. Believe me, I really like Derek as well (good-looking, nice, patient, although a little manipulative), but I always have a thing for the dangerous guy. :D

All in all, Born at Midnight was a fantastic read that you should pick up immediately. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel to find out a little bit more about the mysteries that are surrounding Kylie's identity and the things that happened at the end of the first novel.






The second novel of the series
is expected to be published in October 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin.







Have you read Born at Midnight? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! I'm DYING to read this one. It sounds so much fun!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed reading this book! I almost bought it at the bookstore today, but didn't. I'm kicking myself now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This keeps cropping up on my Amazon book recommendations but I have been ignoring it. I am the same as you - the idea of a camp full of supernatural others really doesn't sound that appealing. But you've tried it and your enthusiasm is infectious so I might just have to add it to my Amazon basket. Thanks for the great review :D New Follower btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you liked reading about a camp full of supernaturals, you should read about a camp full of demigods with Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series. It centers around Greek Mythology. The main series is only five book long with the books averaging at about three hundred pages if I remember correctly. Plus, he has started writing a spin off series too called The Heroes of Olympus. AGh! They're are just all so amazing. And if you like magic, well, Rick Riordan also has The Kane Chronicles that centers with Egyptian mythology. It starts with The Red Pyramid. I just LOOVE his books so much. they are so easy to follow and have an amazing plot line that I can't get bored of or enough of. Okay I'm going to shut up now; but seriously, check out Rick Riordan's books. (Oh, He wrote the first 39 Clues book and that series is amazing too).

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!