Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books / HarperCollins
First published on: February 15th, 2011
Pages: 453

Goodreads Summary:
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember. 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Are you looking for an action-packed novel with a kick-ass herione, angels, demons, a good dose of violence and a love interest that will make you swoon? If your answer is yes (and I know that it is, because there is no way you are not looking for something like that), you have to read Angelfire.

I wanted to read this novel for quite a while until I finally decided to order a copy. Why did I wait? I had read so many mixed reviews about this one that I was scared to read it and be disappointed afterwards. Now I'm only angry at myself for waiting so long, because this definitely was anything but a disappointment.

What I liked most about this novel was Ellie - the main character. She is not like the typical YA heroine we often encounter. Ellie has more friends than just the one required best friend (and her friends are very interesting to read about - I hope there'll be more of them in the sequel), she likes expensive, and most importantly pretty, clothes and knows how to fight reapers.

And then there's Will of course and he's quite a swoon-worthy guy. He's hot (although: which YA love-interest isn't?) and an amazing person - I don't think that there's anything he wouldn't do for Ellie. And their relationship is so wonderfully complicated which makes it impossible for me to wait for the sequel, because I need to know what will happen next.

Another thing I have to praise Ms. Mourton for is the way she has introduced a certain character: Cadan. He, too, is a very attractive guy, but has only appeared twice in Angelfire. But thanks to the way he is written, I cannot wait to see more of him, because he's one of the "bad guys" and we all know that I have quite a thing for the bad guys. It's one of those few books that make me wish for a love triangle.

The only thing I didn't like too much was the amount of fighting. Let's face it, I'm a very girly girl and while I love kick-ass heroines who now how to handle a weapon, there were a few too many scenes of fighting. But this is a personal preference and it won't stop me from wanting to read the sequel (which will be called Wings of the Wicked and is expected to be published in 2012).



Have you read Angelfire? What did you think about it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Caden... I want to know more!!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!