Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Wings by Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 1st, 2009
Pages: 294

Goodreads Summary:
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.



My Rating: 2.5 / 5

What I thought about it: 
When I ordered Wings and it finally arrived at home, I was really excited to read it. I haven't read many faerie stories yet, so I'm always looking forward to read something new from this genre, which has not disappointed me yet. And I had heard good things about this novel, so I expected to like this a lot.

Wings was a nice and fast read, but it didn't surprise me nor did I love it. This is one of those books that you like to read, but that you don't miss when you're finished. It has likeable characters, but neither could I identify with Laurel on a personal level nor did I want to meet those really nice guys Tamani (♥) and David in real life. They stayed fictional characters, whose stories are interesting, but not overwhelming.

At the end I somehow realized that this story feels more like an introduction into the world Aprilynne Pike has created. She teases us with small snippets of Avalon and the faerie world without giving us a solid concept. This, of course, is very well done and makes me want to read the sequel Spells just to find out more about the faerie world and Laurel's adventures.

All in all, I felt like I was missing some intensity - mystery, passion - in the story which would have made the novel a little more memorable. But if your looking for a fast and easy read (maybe a beach read?), you could definitely give it a shot.






The second novel of the series
was released on May 4th, 2010 by HarperTeen.










The third novel of the series
will be released on May 3rd, 2011 by HarperCollins.







Have you read Wings? What did you think about it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this very much. I have the series on my list, but it's not something I'm going to read soon. :) Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!