Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Publisher: Penguin/Razorbill
Release Date: 18th May 2010
Previous Books In The Series: Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise
Pages: 489

Goodreads Summary:
After a long and heartbreaking journey to Dimitri’s birthplace in Siberia, Rose Hathaway has finally returned to St. Vladimir’s—and to her best friend, Lissa Dragomir. It's graduation, and the girls can’t wait for their real lives outside of the Academy’s cold iron gates to finally begin. But even with the intrigue and excitement of court life looming, Rose’s heart still aches for Dimitri. He's out there, somewhere.

She failed to kill him when she had the chance, and now her worst fears are about to come true. Dimitri has tasted her blood, and she knows in her heart that he is hunting her. And if Rose won't join him, he won't rest until he's silenced her...forever.

But Rose can't forget what she learned on her journey—whispers of a magic too impossible and terrifying to comprehend. A magic inextricably tied to Lissa that could hold the answer to all of Rose's prayers, but not without devastating consequences. Now Rose will have to decide what—and who—matters most to her. In the end, is true love really worth the price?
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Not long ago I ordered a set of the first four books of the Vampire Academy Series, hoping that I'd like them, because honestly - who likes having books on their shelves they don't like?
And I loved them! I loved them so much that I immediately ordered the last two books of the series, because I knew that I wouldn't be able to wait to find out what happens next.
In retrospect I actually wish that I would have waited, but just to be able to enjoy the series a little bit longer. Those books are amazing! And even though this isn't my favorite part of the series (I loved Shadow Kiss so much that I don't think any of the other novels can be better), I definitely enjoyed Spirit Bound. It was suspenseful, incredibly well written and made me want to pick up the last novel immediately. Luckily it's already waiting for me on my shelf.

(Next part might include spoilers.)

I have to admit that I was positively surprised by the pace of the story in this novel. While it is the perfect storyline to drag out things and make saving Dimitri thoroughly difficult - which of course would have been awesome -, it didn't take too long. And even though I really liked seeing him as a Strigoi and loved the parts where Rose struggled with her feelings for him, there's nothing better than the real Dimitri.
And while I could constantly shout at Rose for not appreciating Adrian enough (sometimes I truly find myself liking Adrian a lot more than Dimitri), I still think that she should end up with Dimitri. I'm really looking forward to see how their relationships develop in the last novel.

I also loved Lissa in this book. She always had "kiss-ass-potential", but now she's finally starting to show people what she's capable of. And the scenes between her and Dimitri were so cute - in a brotherly/sisterly way.

And the ending - well, I already expected something, because I was stupid enough to read the summary of Last Sacrifice. But this is exactly the reason why I love the Vampire Academy Series so much: Richelle Mead doesn't care about leaving people with happy endings. Everybody can write a happy ending. It just makes me happy that I started reading these novels after the last one was released, because I would have hated being left with this last sentence.

I'm definitely going to pick up Last Sacrifice now. :)



Did you read Spirit Bound? What did you think about it?
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!