Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Pages: 335 (Paperback)

Goodreads Summary:
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.
 



My Rating: 3.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
At first I have to admire the cover. It's gorgeous. And I know that I'm definitely not the first one to say it, but it's true. One of the prettiest covers I've ever seen and I love pretty covers. I'm superficial like that. ;-) And the fact that Supernaturally's cover will be just as pretty as this one is almost enough reason to read the second book in the series.

But I have to admit that I wasn't as fascinated by the book as I wanted to be. I had read amazing reviews about Paranormalcy, so I expected to be blown away by its awesomeness.
And I while I loved Kiersten's very light-hearted and engaging style of writing, I had hoped to like the story a little bit more than I actually did.

(Next part might include spoilers.)

Somehow I had a hard time getting into the story, even though I love the idea. Evie growing up at the IPCA, being normal without being normal at all, was really great. And I also liked Evie as a character a lot. She's cute (oh, the lockers! Amazing idea!), funny and very likeable.
Actually the same goes for Lend, but somehow I couldn't identify with the romantic part of the story. I really liked Lend, but for me the romance was lacking a little bit of passion. And the fact that I was unhealthily obsessing over Reth all the time and hoped that he would appear any second, didn't help.
I felt similar about the whole encounter with Vivian. It happened a little bit too fast for me, although I'm definitely looking forward to how things will develop in Supernaturally.

But all in all, Paranormalcy was a very quick and fun read, especially because Kiersten White's writing is amazing. I will definitely pick up the sequel.



 


The sequel 
will be released on July 26th, 2011 by HarperTeen.







Have you read Paranormalcy? What did you think about it?
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!