Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Flux
Release Date: October 1st, 2008
Pages: 326

Goodreads Summary:
Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. Deirdre finds herself infatuated with a mysterious boy who enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of thin air. Trouble is, the enigmatic and gorgeous Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin. An equally hunky—and equally dangerous—dark faerie soldier named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. 

Sworn enemies, Luke and Aodhan each have a deadly assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is James, her wisecracking but loyal best friend. Deirdre had been wishing her life weren't so dull, but getting trapped in the middle of a centuries-old faerie war isn't exactly what she had in mind . . . 



My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
For me, Lament was one of those books that I bought without really expecting much of it. It's actually one of those few that I purchased at my local bookstore which has definitely not enough English books to satisfy me. (I'm lucky we're living in a time with Amazon and The Book Depository.) So besides the usual choices in a German bookstore, e.g. Twilight or The House of Night Series, I found this novel. They also had Maggie's Linger available, but since they hadn't bothered with Shiver, which is the first book in that series, it didn't make much sense to buy it. But since I had heard good things about Maggie Stiefvater's writing in the Wolves of Mercy Falls Series, I decided to give Lament a chance.

And I'm truly happy I did.
Actually it was the very first fairy book I've ever read and it didn't disappoint me. Once I was finished I wanted to read more fairy stories and definitely more novels by Maggie Stiefvater. (I just recently ordered Shiver and can't wait for it to arrive.)

(Next part might include spoilers.)

I have to admit that I was a little bit confused by the beginning, because Luke did actually enter Deirdre's life out of thin air. What confused me even more was the fact that Dee wasn't confused at all.
But I couldn't care too long about that, because I liked Luke too much to care about his introduction. And even though I would have screamed at any other female heroine to not accept that the hot boy they just met has some dark and dangerous secret, it kind of worked here.

All in all, I loved the story line and was surprised by how much I could like a fairy book. I definitely hadn't expected that. The ending was beautiful as well and made me want to read more written by Maggie Stiefvater.

Oh, and my favorite character was Dee's best friend James. He's just awesome. No need to say more. I want to have a best friend like him. :D






is a companion novel to Lament and was released on
October 1st, 2009 by Flux.







Have you read Lament? What did you think about it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I've read Lament and loved it! Pretty much anything that Maggie writes is awesome!

    New follower.

    Erin W. x
    http://talesoftheinnerbookfanatic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extremely impressed together with your writing skills as smartly as with the
    format to your weblog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to peer a nice weblog like this one these days..

    Here is my webpage outlook email templates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Very useful info specially the last part :) I care for such
    information much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

    Look into my blog ... html email templates free

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely drop comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here "Review: Lament by Maggie Stiefvater".
    And I actually do have some questions for you if it's allright. Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like a few of these responses appear like left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other online sites, I'd like to keep up with anything fresh
    you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of your shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page
    or linkedin profile?

    My website :: save the date email templates

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is wonderful, as well as the
    content!

    Here is my web-site; sorter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep this going please, great job!

    Feel free to surf to my web site: http://analsexempire.com/GeorgiaSp

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!