Monday, April 11, 2011

Review: The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how to review a series that I've already read completely. Do I review all novels individually and spam my readers with a load of reviews they might not even be interested in? Or do I just review the last novel The Iron Queen and incorporate my thoughts about the other ones in that post?

In the end, I decided to do something completely different. This will be a review about all three of the books and should just portray my thoughts about the complete series.

And it's a series that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I haven't read many fairy books yet and Lament by Maggie Stiefvater was actually the very first one - I loved it. Afterwards I decided to give The Iron Fey Series a chance, because the reviews I had read about it mostly told me the same: These books are awesome. And they are. I was quite happy that I had decided to order all three at once, because it would have been quite hard for me to wait. I can be a quite patient person, but not when it comes to books.

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
My favorite aspect of the series is definitely the forbidden romance. Write a book, give it a pretty cover and name it Forbidden Love - I'd most definitely read it. And the Summer Princess falling in love with the Winter Prince, while their courts hate each other is just awesome. I love it. Of course Ash being the perfect hot and swoon-worthy male YA-love-interest helped a lot to intensify my love for their relationship.
But nonetheless I found myself falling for Team Puck sometimes. There is just something incredibly charming about Robin Goodfellow that I couldn't ignore. Of course that doesn't change that I still believe that Meghan and Ash belong together. I'd rather have Puck for myself. ;-)

Something that astonished me pretty much was Julie Kagawa's writing. I had heard that it's supposed to be good, but  it truly is fantastic. The way she describes the world she has created captivated me. I could imagine every little detail perfectly and it was easy to believe that this world actually exits somewhere. And it's a world that I would love to be a part of... the way Julie made it come to life is quite unique and beautiful.

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
I have to admit that the story was a little bit slow in the beginning. When Meghan was brought into the Nevernever by Puck, I was a little bit overwhelmed (and bored at the same time) by the creatures and adventures she encountered.

But the more the story progressed, the better it became. The Summer Court, the Iron Realms, the Winter Court, Leanansidhe's - every place and every new adventure was wonderful and added to the overall story.

At the end of The Iron Queen I actually cried, which doesn't happen very often even though I'm easily touched by stories. But this was amazing, although I wouldn't have been happy with this ending if there wouldn't be a fourth book - The Iron Knight.

There's not much to find about the fourth novel of this series, but the fact that it will exist is enough to make me happy for the moment. It will actually be told from Ash's perspective, which we could already admire at the very end of The Iron Queen. I'm definitely looking forward to this and hope for a very happy and very romantic ending.



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

Have you read the The Iron Fey Series? What did you think about it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I really can't wait to start this series. Seriously, they are sitting on my bookshelf and I drool as I walk past them. lol. Loved your review of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's very hard to review a series you've already finished lol. I'm having that issue with a few as well. You did a great job of relating your thoughts, tho! I'm about halfway into The Iron Daughter. I am definitely loving this series. Lament is on my TBR, and will be moved up asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! Oh andd pssssh Puck is sooo mine (;

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!