Friday, April 15, 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: February 1st, 2011
Pages: 352

Goodreads Summary:
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?



My Rating: 3.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
When I first started reading this novel, I expected to fall in love with it immediately. I had read so many positive reviews about it that told me how amazing The Demon Trapper's Daughter is - I simply had to love it.

This expectation made it even more surprising when I realized that I didn't like it as much as I had hoped for. It definitely wasn't love at first sight and at the beginning I had to struggle to continue reading. I don't know why, but I somehow couldn't identify with Riley and the world she lives in as easily as expected. Maybe it was because this was the very first demon book I've read, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

But I made myself continue, because I don't like to give up on a book that's supposed to be really good that easily. And I'm really happy I didn't stop reading. While I never really felt like I was a part of the world Jana Oliver had created, I definitely started to get into the story. And in all objectivity, it was a very well written novel.

My favorite part of it was Beck. I never expected to like to read a story told from a guy's point of view,  but whenever a part was told by him and not by Riley, I found myself wanting to read more. He is one of those characters that I wish were real and at certain points I felt exasperated by Riley not realizing what a great guy she has in her life. But then there were those moments where they understood each other and didn't let the things happening get between them - and those were the most amazing parts of the novel. I'll probably read the sequel once it's released just to see how their relationship is going to develop.

Simon is a quite interesting character as well. He didn't grab my attention like Beck did, but I'm still looking forward to see what he - and Riley - will be like in the future. All in all, every character was amazingly well written. They all contributed to the story and while I couldn't stand some of them (Harper!), they were all important and none of them could be replaced. 

I don't know whether I'll ever be truly able to get into the demon part of the story, but I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel to find out what happens next.



Have you read The Demon Trapper's Daughter? What did you think about it?
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!